The Petroleum Technology Development Fund (PTDF) Overseas Scholarship Scheme (OSS) has earned quite a reputation over the years. The programme is designed to meet the long-term capacity requirements of the oil and gas industry through training of young Nigerians in related fields of Engineering, Geological Sciences, Environmental and Energy Studies both at the master's and doctoral levels.
In pursuit of its mandate the PTDF is inviting applications from suitably qualified candidates for its MSc and PhD Scholarships as well as Undergraduate, under the PTDF scholarship scheme. Scholarships will be awarded for studies in areas listed below, in the United Kingdom and upgraded Universities in Nigeria for the 2011/2012 session. However, the undergraduate level will be awarded for studies in Nigeria only.
Beneficiaries are expected to fit directly into the oil and gas industry and/or the academia and contribute meaningfully to development of the sector. Sponsorship under the OSS is for Master's and Doctoral Degree programmes in UK universities.
2011/2012 PTDF SCHOLARSHIP SCHEME In pursuit of its mandate the PTDF is inviting applications from suitably qualified candidates for its MSc and PhD Scholarships as well as Undergraduate, under the PTDF scholarship scheme. Scholarships will be awarded for studies in areas listed below, in the United Kingdom and upgraded Universities in Nigeria for the 2011/2012 session. However, the undergraduate level will be awarded for studies in Nigeria only.
Application forms can be accessed online using an ATM card or through purchase of a scratch card from designated major branches of First Bank of Nigeria Plc in all state capitals and FCT, upon the payment of a NON-REFUNDABLE sum of N1,000 (One Thousand Naira Only). Instructions on how to access the form online is clearly stated on the backside of the cards.
PTDF however wishes to inform all its esteemed applicants that its Overseas Scholarship Scheme was instituted as a short term measure to address identified skills gaps, pending the outcome of the various capacity building efforts being made to enable our domestic universities effectively handle the onerous task of grooming qualitative professionals in the oil and gas related disciplines. With the numerous upgrade programmes executed by the Fund in some Federal Universities in Nigeria, the Fund intends to shift emphasis to training Nigerians in-country from next session. Consequently, only a limited number of candidates will be sponsored overseas and the rest in Nigerian Universities listed below.
LIST OF NIGERIAN UNIVERSITIES:
African University of Science and Technology – Petroleum Eng
Institute of Petroleum Studies, Port Harcourt
University of Port Harcourt- Gas Eng
University of Ibadan- Petroleum Eng
University of Nigeria Nsukka- Geology
University of Benin- Renewable Energy
University of Jos- Mining & Geology
University of Maiduguri – Geology
Ahmadu Bello University – Chemical Eng
Usman Dan Fodio University – Industrial Chemistry
Federal University of Technology, Owerri – Applied Chemistry
Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife – Geology
University of Calabar – Applied Chemistry
University of Uyo – Chemical & Petroleum Eng
Bayero University Kano – Electrical Eng
Federal University of Technology, Minna – Chemical Eng
University of Ilorin – Geology & Mineral Science
Applicants are hereby advised to note that only those who meet the requirements below shall be shortlisted and invited for Electronic Aptitude Test for Undergraduate and MSc, while oral interview will be conducted for PhD applicants on dates to be announced later.After the aptitude tests and interviews, the best qualified candidates will be selected and awarded PTDF Scholarships. PLEASE NOTE THAT UNDERGRADUATE APPLICANTS MUST BE IN THEIR 2ND YEAR IN ANY OF THE LISTED NIGERIAN UNIVERSITIES, WHILE THE POSSESSION OF A VALID UNIVERSITY ADMISSION LETTER IS COMPULSORY FOR ALL PHD APPLICANTS. PTDF will assist successful MSc candidates in securing admission into suitable Universities (within and outside Nigeria) BASIC REQUIREMENTS
A. UNDER GRADUATE (Nigeria Only)
* Possession of 5 credits in WAEC/SSCE/NECO including English Language and Mathematics
* Must have concluded the 1st year of their study in any of the PTDF upgraded Federal Universities listed above.
* Must have scored a minimum CGPA of 3.0 on scale of 5 or 4.5 on a scale of 7 in their 1st Year.
* Must scan and attach a copy of their admission letter
* Students admitted into the University through Direct Entry i.e. 200 level must have either of the following:
1. Minimum f Upper Credit at the Diploma level
2. Minimum of 10 points in interim Joint Matriculation Board (I.J.M.B) examination.
3. Minimum of 8 points at the Advanced Level General Certificate of Education (G.C.E).
B. MSc (Nigeria and Overseas)
* A minimum of Second Class Upper (2.1) in an Oil and Gas related field OR a 2.2 with oil and gas industry experience
* National Youth Service (NYSC) certificate
* Applicants must be computer literate
* Possession of O/level or credit in English language in WAEC,GCE and SSCE and
* Applicants must not be above 35 years of ageApplicants without credit in English language as in (4) above but possess any of the following may apply
1. Test of English language as a foreign language (TOEFL)
2. G.R.E ( Graduate Record Examination)
3. GMAT –for Management related courses
4. International English Language Testing system (IEL TS) Applicants are advised to scan copies of the following documents and attach to their online application forms:
* First Degree Certificate or Statement of Result
* NYSC discharge certificate
* WAEC/GCE/SSCE/NECO Results or provide PIN numbers on their application forms to enable PTDF view on the relevant authority's website; and
* Recent Passport Photograph
C. PhD (Nigeria and Overseas)
* Applicants must be in the academics teaching oil and gas related discipline;
* Applicants must possess minimum of 2.2 on first degree and a good second degree certificate;
* Applicants must submit a research proposal relevant to the oil and gas industry (of not more than 5 pages) to include: Topic, introduction, objective, methodology and mode of data collection;
* Applicants must include valid admission letter;
* Applicants must not be over 40 years of age; and;
* Applicants must include their masters degree project
LIST OF APPROVED COURSES FOR SPONSORSHIP
* Applied Instrumentation and Control
* Asset Engineering
* Basin Evolution and Dynamics
* Bio fuels Development
* Diving and Underwater Technology
* Energy Systems Engineering
* Environmental Engineering
* Environmental Remote Sensing
* Fire & Explosion Engineering
* Gas Engineering and Management
* Gas Pipeline Economics & Engineering
* Health Safety and Environment
* Marine Computational Fluid Dynamics
* Maritime Operations
* Naval Architecture & ocean Engineering
* Occupational Health & Safety
* Occupational Health and Safety
* Offshore and Ocean Technology
* Offshore Engineering
* Petroleum , Gas & Energy Engineering
* Petroleum Downstream Technology
* Pipeline Engineering
* Power Plant Engineering
* Purchasing and Supply Chain Management
* Refinery Design and Operations
* Remote sensing and computing
* Safety Engineering and Risk Management
* Subsea Engineering
* Thermal Power (Gas Turbine Option)
* Welding Engineering
B. PhD PRIORITY RESEARCH AREAS The PhD research areas in addition to the afore-listed MSc program areas may also include any of the following related areas:
* Environmental Studies and HSE (Health, Safety and Environment).
* Marginal Fields Development.
* Flow Assurance and Pipeline Engineering.
* Geology and Petroleum Geology.
* Civil and Marine Engineering.
* Renewable Energy.
* Reservoir Engineering/Production Technology.
* Refining Technology.
* Ship Building & Marine Technology.
PLEASE NOTE THAT:
1. RECIPIENTS OF A SIMILAR SCHOLARSHIP NEED NOT APPLY
2. CANDIDATES WHO ATTAIN THE HIGHEST SCORES MAY BE PLACED IN UK UNIVERSITIES OVER OTHERS WHO PERFORM LESS.
3. CANDIDATES WHO ALREADY POSSESS A MASTER'S DEGREE SHOULD NOT APPLY FOR MSC PROGRAMME, BUT ARE QUALIFIED TO APPLY FOR THE PHD.
4. CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS IS 31 JANUARY 2011.
Monday, January 10, 2011
PTDF Scholarships 2011 Application Page
Posted by Administrator at 11:08 PM